What is the Pre-roll Interleave Field?
The Pre-roll interleave field is responsible for two definitions: The first, is to define if a pre-roll ad opportunity will be run (before a content video begins), and the second is to define after how many content videos the pre-roll ad opportunity will be displayed.
This field allows you to select a number from 0 to 4. 0 means that no pre-rolls will be run in your player, while the values of 1 to 4 allow you to select the number of content videos that will be played after a pre-roll ad opportunity will be fulfilled.
- 0 - No pre-rolls will run on your player.
- 1 - Player load Pre-roll Content video Pre-roll Content video etc.
- 2 - Player load Pre-roll 2 Consecutive Content videos Pre-roll 2 Consecutive Content videos etc.
- 3 - Player load Pre-roll 3 Consecutive Content videos Pre-roll 3 Consecutive Content videos etc.
- 4 - Player load Pre-roll 4 Consecutive Content videos Pre-roll 4 Consecutive Content videos etc.
Note: This field is available in the player wizard under the Ads tab.
Pre-roll Interleave Logic
The following diagram explains how the Pre-roll interleave field operates.
In this example we have set the Pre-roll interleave field to 2. This means that a Pre-roll ad opportunity will be fulfilled upon the player's upload, and then only after two content videos have finished their playback, and so forth.
Pre-roll Interleave, Mid-roll and Overlay Timing field Relations
It is important to understand that all the following three fields: Pre-roll interleave, Mid-roll timing and Overlay timing, are not dependent on one another. This means that any definitions given to one field will not affect the other. The following diagram explains how the listed fields interact within the player.
In this example, we have a playlist of 2 videos. In addition, we have set the following ad definitions using the Ads tab in the player wizard:
- Pod size = 2 (2 ads will be run in every ad opportunity).
- Pre-roll interleave = 1 (1 content video will play before a Pre-roll ad opportunity is run).
- Mid-roll timing = 80% (A Mid-roll ad opportunity will be run when each of the content videos reaches it's 80% playback marker).
- Overlay timing = 20% (An Overlay ad opportunity will be displayed when each of the content videos reaches it's 20% playback marker).
In this case, during the playback of the first content video, the Overlay will be displayed first at the 20% playback marker. After that the Mid-roll ad opportunity will be displayed at the 80% playback marker. Both of these ad opportunities are displayed before the Pre-roll is run. This is duo to the fact that each of the ad timing definition are independent from the Pre-roll interleave definition.
After the first content video has completed it's playback the Pre-roll ad opportunity will run before starting the second content video.
When the Pre-roll ad opportunity has been completed, the second content video will continue and apply the Overlay and Mid-roll ad opportunities again as in the first content video playback.
Please refer to the following articles to learn more about managing ads: